1.27.2014

Extroverted Introvert:

I always tell my students about that I am an Extrovert, and that I used to be an Introvert.  Students…  if you are reading this is why.  I started in life with a rather large speech impediment, Rs were Ws… and many other oddities.  I just remember Rs were the big one.  I had speech Therapy from the age of I don't know until the age of 12ish.  People never understood me when I talked so naturally "I didn't".  I was teased at times, and would rather do my own thing. I had a few close friends but that was it. 4th grade had a few awful memories that came about my speech impediment.  One was my 4th grade science/biology teacher where we had to write a speech about and animal, I think.  All i know is that I wrote about the Nimble Squirrel, yes I know I already talked about them once.  I had the best research that I have ever had on this subject, I learned a lot.  It came down to me giving my speech.  Before this I have never really noticed that I didn't mind getting in front of people, but after this I did.  I got up proud of my speech and gave it, I knew my subject!!! I knew it well!!!  When I got done my teacher…  asked "Why did you give a speech about SCHOOLs?" "and why are you talking about Fwying Schools"  I choose not to ever talk in his class again.

I actually think I stopped caring about most of my school work after that point. I admit it!!!

A teacher can make or break your scholarly achievements… 

I didn't give a speech until much later, and I will tell you the back ground.  My brother was killed by a drunk-driver when I was in 8th grade and he was a Senior.  Zing, I know… I am sure I will get into this more for later blogs.  But my brother was the 100% extrovert, and after that point in my life I made it a point to change.  I became the class-clown the jokester, and from there I started talking more and more… I put myself into situations where it made me uncomfortable, and slowly made it where I can talk in front of anyone or group that I come across. I ran for student council, no not class president.  My friend was running for that, and he already signed up.  So instead of splitting the votes of all our friends, I ran for Vice-President, I got it too.  He got President.  That is one small speech to my high school class.  Uncomfortable…  Yes!

I took it a couple steps further that year.  I had to give a speech in my Senior English class, fail… I wasn't ready, I gave blood about 30 minutes before.  Whatever excuse I can make up, but I did get pasty, pale, and nearly passed out. My teacher let me do my speech the next week, without the class there.  I told her the entire background of my speech therapy and of my 4th grade teacher (I got a sympathy vote).  

Being in Student Council, I had the choice to give a speech for graduation.  I had 3 minutes to fill at my graduation, about the Senior Gift.  Yes I know exciting, but I did the best research that I have ever did on the subject.  I practiced 20-100 times…  My English teacher helped me practice it over and over.  I had 3 minutes to fill at my graduation.  The first graduating class from my high school and I spoke at the Graduation.  Boom!  The one that said "Squirrel" and people heard "School," and so I got up proud of my speech and gave it, I knew my subject!!! I knew it well!!! 

Still to this day, If I have to get in the front of large groups I seriously have to do an Inner-peptalk.  A "here we go" personal speech…  

That is why I am now an extrovert, because of my 4th Grade teacher to prove that he was a/an… (enter in own favorite word to describe him) and because of my brother, someone that I still look up to and still try to make proud.  I changed my personality type, and who I am, because I said I could. 

No comments :

Post a Comment